[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  John Elliott <jdelliott at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  client default gateway not sent via DHCP...
 Date:  Fri, 27 May 2005 21:11:07 -0500
I have been running m0n0wall for about 5 months now, and am very happy
with it.

The issue that I am having is coming up with another *nix box,
specifically a ClarkConnect linux box (The version of CC I am running
is based off RedHat 9).

My network is set up as follows:

Cable modem

    m0n0wall
   (10.0.0.220)

     switch

    clients
WinXP (10.0.0.150)
VOIP Box (10.0.0.152)
WinXP box 2 (10.0.0.153)
Clarkconnect 3.0  (10.0.0.100)
Clarkconnect 2.2  (10.0.0.101)

with the exception of the Clarkconnect 3.0 box, I have set up DHCP on
all clients.  Once they all connect, somewhere within the DHCP pool I
have set up of 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.4, I then set up a static MAC-Address
based IP address.   This way, as I add machines to the network, I can
capture there MAC addresses, and can shut ff unknown clients, only to
turn it back on when needed.  With MAC address spoofing, I know it is
really low security, but it is enough for me.  The CC 3.0 box has a
proper static IP adress assigned to it.  I have not tried yet to see
if allowing it to try and get a DHCP addy would result in the same
issue that Iam seeingon the CC 2.2 box.

Symptoms:

All machines have no issues connecting to the internet, resolving DNS,
etc, with the exception of the CC 2.2 box.  On this box, I can ping
just fine to any other machine on the LAN, including m0n0wall. Any
attempts by me to ping outside the local network are met with "Network
Unreachable", whether by IP or by URL.   The problem, as far as I can
tell, is that the CC Box is somehow not getting a default gateway sent
to it via DHCP, which from what I understand from reading other posts,
is hardcoded to be the LAN IP of m0n0wall.

This issue may end up being a ClarkConnect issue, and I am posting the
same issue to the clarkconnect forums.  Hopefully between the two
support areas, I will be able to get this resolved.

I will be more than happy to provide any other info to anyone who
feels that it is needed in order to resolve this issue.

Thanks

John Elliott