[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrej Fercic" <andrej at pcklinika dot si>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Beta 1.2b7 PPPoE
 Date:  Mon, 30 May 2005 06:52:46 +0200
Tx, Peter!

Now is everything cleared out. I want permanent connection, so PPPoE without
"dial on demand"

Cheers,

Andrej

Hi Andrej!

Why not telling us, what you want to achieve and we'll tell you how to
configure that? Dial-on-demand is only needed for some people who do have an
internet connection which is payed by online time. m0n0wall dials out, when
where is need for it and hangs up the line after a specified idle timeout.
Without dial-on-demand, m0n0wall makes a connection to your ISP
automagically (and tries to reestablish the connection every time it's going
down -- for what reason whatever).

Am Sonntag, den 29.05.2005, 13:32 +0200 schrieb Andrej Fercic:
> I am confused with PPPoE settings. So I wonder If m0n0 drop PPPoE
> connection after some idle time by default or only when I check "dial on
demand"
> option.
m0n0wall doesn't drop any connection as long as you don't select
"dial-on-demand".

> Also, what is happening if I choose 2dial on demand" and idle time set
> to 0 (zero).
If I do understand it the right way, the mpd (Multi-link PPP daemon for
FreeBSD) dials out, when where is demand for it and since the idle timeout
is set to "0", it never hangs up the line.

> I've read howto etc, but I am still confused what is right and what
> wrong :(
Did you read this one, too? http://www.dellroad.org/mpd/index

Ciao ...

 copyleft(c) by |           Problem solving under Linux has never been
 Peter Allgeyer |   _-_     the circus that it is under AIX.  -- Pete