[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  sleet71 dash m0n0wall at yahoo dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall worked with SBC DSL, doesn't with Comcast Cable
 Date:  Thu, 26 May 2005 20:40:44 -1000
On May 26, 2005, at 5:37 PM, Craig Williams wrote:

> Wow Jim, I'm aware of all that. The "big-I-Internet" huh?
> MAC address has been cloned (stated earlier)

Man, I don't mean to offend.  Really/  In these situations I never
know who I'm dealing with.
It could be George Bush, and it could be Tony Li.

So I ask, even if I suspect that you know what you're doing.

"big-I-Internet", yeah.

> m0n0wall WAN: 67.184.149.158/21
> m0n0wall LAN: 192.168.1.254/24
>
> Cable modem: not sure - does it even get an address? SB5100 has a
> status page at 192.168.100.1, but I'm not able to browse that when
> it is on the outside edge of the m0n0wall.

depends on how your MSO set things up.  Here at home (Time Warner/
Oceanic (Hawaii)) my cable modem
is at 67.52.77.53 and my soekris/mono box is at 67.42.77.54/30.

Before I got them to straighten it out, they were running NAT in the
cable modem, so I'd DHCP a 192.168.<something>
out of the back of the cable modem ports.  So, I was asking all that
to ensure that we didn't have a situation where m0n0wall was getting
an rfc1918 address from the cable modem, and attempting to use the
same (sub)-network on
the LAN/OPT1 sides.

> Browsing the cable modem (without m0n0wall) never indicates it has
> an IP. Just signal strength & MAC addresses are listed. Strange
> that I can browse it when it is on the outside edge of the DLink.
> Thought I may need to setup a static route to it, but then the IP
> assigned to the WAN interface is DHCP, so I can't create a route to
> it.

Its possible that the cable modem (or head end) has learned the MAC
of your notebook (whatever, not the m0n0wall box), and you'll either
need to clone it or get your MSO to clear it.   A lot of earlier
cable modems learned the first address they saw, and need a software-
level "forget what you know" (rather than a simple power cycle)
command to learn a new one.   (was m0n0wall the first thing you
plugged in, or was it the notebook?)

> I use the LAN IP of the m0n0wall for default gateway (on the PC).
> It is after all the router to get off the LAN. Default gateway the
> m0n0wall receives from Comcast: 67.184.144.1

Can monowall ping 67.184.144.1?     I can ping 67.184.144.1, but not
67.184.149.158.

Might be time to get on the phone with your MSO and tell them that it
doesn't work.  See if *they* can ping your m0n0wall box.   If they
can't, make them fix it.

jim