[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Performances of the LAN to DMZ.
 Date:  Mon, 30 May 2005 21:05:37 -0400
On 5/30/05, shwing <shwing at shwinux dot com> wrote:
> I have a WRAP (PC Engines WRAP.1D-2) and my DMZ server is PIII 800Mhz (512Mb
> of ram)

This is why you typically don't put things that require fast
throughput, like a file server, on a DMZ segment.  4.4 MBps is around
35 Mbps, which is about the max throughput of a WRAP.  It's only a 266
MHz, sub $200 USD box.  It's not suitable and not designed to route
wire speed, and you won't find that in any box at that price.  A 1 GHz
or so should do wire speed.  If you really need excellent performance
from a file server on a different subnet, a L3 switch is the way to
go.

-Chris