[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv dot com>
 To:  Bart Smit <bit at pipe dot nl>
 Cc:  M0N0Wall firewall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Space requirements and logging
 Date:  Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:51:37 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Bart Smit wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>
> > Recently found M0n0Wall and have been going over the archives looking for
> > requirements. In particular space for logs.
>
> By design, m0n0wall doesn't keep its logs. It only keeps a small tail to
> aid in troubleshooting. If you want real logging, you should log to a
> loghost in your LAN, using syslog. This is generally the preferred method
> for firewalls anyway, for quite obvious reasons: if the firewall is
> somehow compromised, the logs are still safe.

Is there a setting in the menus for this?
On the other machine, a FreeBSD machine, what would need to be done to
receive/accept the logs?

Given that no logs are required should a 16MB card be enough then? any
possibility the system will ever grow above 16MB.. 32MB cards are so close
to the 16MBs that I am wondering if should get a 32MB card.