[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv dot com>, Bart Smit <bit at pipe dot nl>
 Cc:  M0N0Wall firewall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Space requirements and logging
 Date:  Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:05:11 -0700
At 10:51 AM 12/12/2003, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Bart Smit wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> >
> > > Recently found M0n0Wall and have been going over the archives looking for
> > > requirements. In particular space for logs.
> >
> > By design, m0n0wall doesn't keep its logs. It only keeps a small tail to
> > aid in troubleshooting. If you want real logging, you should log to a
> > loghost in your LAN, using syslog. This is generally the preferred method
> > for firewalls anyway, for quite obvious reasons: if the firewall is
> > somehow compromised, the logs are still safe.
>
>Is there a setting in the menus for this?

Yes.

Look under Diagnostics->System Logs->Settings

>On the other machine, a FreeBSD machine, what would need to be done to
>receive/accept the logs?

man syslog.conf

It's easy.

>Given that no logs are required should a 16MB card be enough then? any
>possibility the system will ever grow above 16MB.. 32MB cards are so close
>to the 16MBs that I am wondering if should get a 32MB card.

I have a 46MB Lexar in my Soekris net4501.  It's overkill, the boot image
is a bit larger than 5MB.  But (at least this week) CF cards are so cheap I
wouldn't worry about it.

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400