[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Courtney <dcourtney at cfl dot rr dot com>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can't get DHCP address from Wireless card
 Date:  Mon, 15 Dec 2003 03:48:32 -0500
> To be precise - Orinoco cards *are* supported, but not in hostap mode
> (only BSS/IBSS a.k.a. Infrastructure/Ad Hoc), so they can't act as an
> access point. Same goes for Cisco cards.

Ah.  Well that would certainly explain why I can "see" the card but not
use it.  I have a spare Netgear PCI 802.11b MA311 that I'll try and use
then.  It has a Prisim II (2.5) chipset.

Know if there is anyway to have m0n0wall write it's config file to a USB
thumb drive instead of a floppy?  Floppy drives are getting pretty
scarce these days.  And USB thumb drives are dirt cheap.  I just bought
a 64MB one for $0 after rebate.  Can't beat free.  (Technically it cost
me about $1 for tax and a stamp to send in for the rebate.)

I understand that the config file is only a few bytes and that it would
be a waste of a thumb drive.  But they are so cheap I don't really care.
  (And I don't believe there is any reason why I couldn't still use the
thumb drive anyway is there?  Understanding that the data on the thumb
drive could potentially be stolen or erased if there were ever an
exploit in m0n0wall.)

I ask because I would like to experiment with m0n0wall on this computer
and/or my laptop.  And neither of them have a floppy drive.  When I boot
the m0n0wall CD from this computer, it hangs at some point when the
kernel is probing for hardware.  Presumably because it can't find the
floppy drive.