[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Fred Weston" <fred at daytonawan dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Webserver on LAN behind m0n0wall NAT
 Date:  Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:50:06 +0100 (CET)
Fred Weston said:
> and that works fine for that purpose.  Now, my question is if you typed
> the external IP address of the firewall in on the LAN client PC, will
> you be able to access the server's website?  In other words is it smart

No, ipfilter's ipnat (which is used for NAT in m0n0wall) doesn't do that
(and as you can see, many commercial products can't either - like your
Netgear router). In most cases, you can work around this problem by using
the DNS forwarder on m0n0wall and specifying an override for that web
server's name with the internal/LAN IP address. Then just use m0n0wall's
LAN IP address as the DNS server for all your clients, and you should be
fine - no need to mess with hosts files.

- Manuel