[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "David Courtney" <dcourtney at cfl dot rr dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can't get DHCP address from Wireless card
 Date:  Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:53:03 +0100 (CET)
David Courtney said:
> I understand that the config file is only a few bytes and that it would
> be a waste of a thumb drive.  But they are so cheap I don't really care.
>   (And I don't believe there is any reason why I couldn't still use the
> thumb drive anyway is there?  Understanding that the data on the thumb
> drive could potentially be stolen or erased if there were ever an
> exploit in m0n0wall.)

Guess I'll have to try that sometime and maybe extend the config file
probing to include USB media.

> I ask because I would like to experiment with m0n0wall on this computer
> and/or my laptop.  And neither of them have a floppy drive.  When I boot
> the m0n0wall CD from this computer, it hangs at some point when the
> kernel is probing for hardware.  Presumably because it can't find the
> floppy drive.

I don't think so - I've booted FreeBSD on machines without a floppy drive
more than once, and usually it just prints an error message about fdc0 but
then continues. But some USB controllers (among other hardware) are known
to hang FreeBSD 4.9 - try disabling some hardware in the BIOS to see if it
helps.

- Manuel