[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Azzarello <lee dot azzarello at ps dash solved dot com>
 To:  Vittore Zen <drzen at gamebox dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Asterisk & m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 01 Jun 2005 08:43:42 -0400
On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 14:25 +0200, Vittore Zen wrote:

> All go right, my PBX is in my LAN and all softphones are in my LAN.
> Now I want to setup a public ip address and move the PBX outside my LAN
>
> Internet <-> ADSL modem <-+-> m0n0wall <-> LAN
>                          PBX
>
> Uhm.... the softphones in my LAN doesn't work. I know that SIP isn't so
> good in NAT environment.
> I'm using asterisk@home distro. SIP softphone are x-ten lite.

For a simple configuration like this you can get by with port forwarding
to the Asterisk box. This way your phones on the LAN still have a
simple, direct connection and external phones can find the Asterisk
server.

SIP and NAT don't work well together because the SIP headers need to be
rewritten along side the IP headers the firewall translates. Asterisk
can function as a NAT aware SIP proxy with the nat=yes option in
sip.conf. Unfortunately, just to keep you on your toes, telephone
manufacturers differ greately in how you configure them to also be NAT
aware. I can personally recommend any phone made by Snom for ease of
use. Polycom and Cisco take about 10 hours of set up to get right the
first time.

-lee