 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature Request
 Date:  Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:13:55 +0200
On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 18:48, Jean Everson Martina wrote:
> Nope. As long af they share the wire, there is no way to stop that, as
> > the trafic don go thru the m0n0wall box.
>
> I was just thinking in have the dummies out. What I usually do on a
> freebsd full box is set pppoe to clientes and with this established,
> they have a point-to-point with my server and on ther server I use block
> rules to don't let they talk each other.

They can't see each other via the pppoe-tunnel you control, but there is
no problem in running a normal IP-network on the same wire. That network
is out of you control, as long as the customers share the wire.

> > A way to do it could be setting up a VLAN for each customer, and adding
> > a VLAN-switch to spread each virtual segment to its own wire
>
> Yes a good solution, but a little expensive.

Is it?

I've seen VLAN-capable 24 port switches for 700-800 DKK witch is a

Right now I'm using 4 separate switches/hubs running 18 ports. By
combining them into a wlan switch I would get 3 more ports available, 3
or 4 power-supplies to throw away (or better sell with the corresponding
devices), a much easier network-setup to maintain (right now it's a mess
;-) )

All that for not much nore than price of 4 stand-alone switches!