[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Beta 1.2b8
 Date:  Wed, 1 Jun 2005 23:03:31 +0200
Hallo Manuel,

Manuel Kasper schrieb am 29. May 2005:

>Yes, it has finally happened: m0n0wall 1.2b8 is out, and as announced
>earlier, it's again based on FreeBSD 4.11

Feedback: I have it now running for about 30 hours. CPU useage on
1.2b7 was about 45% (with 2 mBit SDSL utilized fully), now about 20%.

>Support for device polling is compiled into the kernel as well,
>although it's not enabled by default.

You might wish to enable it by default for at least the WRAP image, it
cut down CPU usage again by half to about 10% only. I therefore put
this into my .xml file:

<shellcmd>sysctl kern.polling.enable=1</shellcmd>

I also put this into my .xml file (WRAP):

<shellcmd>ifconfig sis0 link0</shellcmd>
<shellcmd>ifconfig sis1 link0</shellcmd>
<shellcmd>ifconfig sis2 link0</shellcmd>

Now CPU usage is almost unnoticeable. However SNMP might be mistaken
about it, it's too low to be true (but the SVG view of m0n0wall says
the same). You can see the changes here:

http://www.fpage.org/ifgraph/

(click on the interfaces to get more stats)

Great job! Thank you very much.

>After that, it'll be time to discuss the future of m0n0wall.

I can only hope that OpenBSD is at least considered, regardless of the
personality of the project leader.

Thank you and the developer team for their efforts.

Best regards

Frederick

P.S.: I finally found the reason for my freezes: it was the vpn1411
mini PCI crypto card. It got warm and since it's located right above
the sis0 chip, it heated that one up. Since I removed the darn card
everything is running very fine.