[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Niklas Petersen <niklas at vestermarken dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Running m0n0wall behind existing router
 Date:  Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:56:47 +0200
Hi everyone

I have tried looking through the archives, but couldn´t find an answer
to my problem:

I want to use m0n0wall as traffic shaper for the network in my
appartment building. We are currently using a Cisco router, and for the
time being I would like to keep this router running NAT and taking care
of DHCP. The Cisco has the WAN IP from our ISP. The LAN currently uses

I would like to set it up as follows:

         ISP DHCP
Cisco Ethernet1/1     WAN 80.x.x.x
Cisco FastEthernet0/0 LAN
     m0n0wall WAN ?.?.?.?
     m0n0wall LAN ?.?.?.?
        PC clients ?.?.?.?

Sofar I have been semi-succesful getting this to work. I used
as WAN and as LAN on m0n0wall. Turned off NAT and disabled DHCP
in m0n0. I set up a client machine with IP and as gateway

This way I was able to get an ICMP packet through to the internet. I was
however not able to browse any webpages. I took a look at the routing on
the Cisco. It currently has one route:

ip route FastEthernet0/0

I am not too much of a network wiz, but I´m guessing the packet with the
actual webpage data, is being sent back to the wrong place instead of
m0n0wall where it was supposed to? That was my idea anyway, so I added:

ip route

which made me able to browse webpages on the client PC.

This leads me to believe that this setup *could* actually work - but I
simply don't know how to make a similiar routing for all the client
machines on the LAN (

I tried adding these two routes instead of the existing:

ip route FastEthernet0/0
ip route

No luck.

Now my question is: Would this IP setup work at all, and if so can
anyone tell me what kind of routes I need to add, or anything else I
need to do, in order to make it work?

If this is not the way of doing it, could someone tell me how I can set
this up?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Niklas Petersen