[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Is it possible to install monowall on a pc ??
 Date:  Thu, 2 Jun 2005 11:14:25 -0400
On 6/2/05, Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On 6/2/05, Paul Rae <PRae at aminocom dot com> wrote:
> > There is no performance degradation from using a cd - when it boots up, its all loaded into
> > memory anyway.
>
> I guess the only performance issue I could see is if the system was
> starved for RAM after loading m0n0wall.  I'd guess that's not going to
> be an issue, though, with the system Nans specified.

All the images load into RAM at boot.  That's why 64 MB is the minimum
required (with breathing room for upgrades which also get loaded into
RAM on top of that).

The only difference at all in speed between CD, HD, CF, Zip drive, or
whatever you boot off of is the boot speed.  CD, Zip, CF, etc. are
going to be slower booting than a HD (by varying amounts).  After
boot, it's all the same.

-Chris