[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Jeroen Visser <monowall at forty dash two dot nl>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Strange mac spoofing behavior generic-pc 1.2b8
 Date:  Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:04:50 +0200
On 03.06.2005 11:31 +0200, Jeroen Visser wrote:

> Is look like Brent Dunn's problem, but with a tiny difference !
>
> Here's the situation.
> When using the 1.2b8 version of monowall my router (a generic pc)
> boots fine. It even gets an IP from my provider. All this is fine,
> but when I try to use MAC spoofing, the 1.2b8 verion gets confused.

Brent Dunn and you seem to be having one thing in common:
Realtek-based network cards. Despite the fact that those cards are,
well, let's just say a little bit cheap, it could be some change in
FreeBSD's rl driver that causes this problem. The MAC spoofing stuff
in m0n0wall hasn't changed at all lately. The only difference between
1.2b8 and older 4.x-based versions (as far as the rl driver is
concerned) is that polling support is now compiled in, but that
shouldn't make a difference as long as it's disabled (by default).

Try another brand of NIC if you can (I'd very much recommend this
anyway).

- Manuel