[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jeroen Visser" <monowall at forty dash two dot nl>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Strange mac spoofing behavior generic-pc 1.2b8
 Date:  Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:54:30 +0200
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:15:26 +0200, Jeroen Visser wrote
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 12:04:50 +0200, Manuel Kasper wrote
>
> > Brent Dunn and you seem to be having one thing in common:
> > Realtek-based network cards. Despite the fact that those cards are,
> > well, let's just say a little bit cheap, it could be some change in
> > FreeBSD's rl driver that causes this problem. The MAC spoofing stuff
> > in m0n0wall hasn't changed at all lately. The only difference between
> > 1.2b8 and older 4.x-based versions (as far as the rl driver is
> > concerned) is that polling support is now compiled in, but that
> > shouldn't make a difference as long as it's disabled (by default).
> >
> > Try another brand of NIC if you can (I'd very much recommend this
> > anyway).
> >
> > - Manuel
>
> I'd really like to try another brand of NIC, but this is an embedded system
>
> (generic pc though) with three networkcards on the motherboard. So sadly
> I can't use another brand of Network card.
>
> Specs of the system are here:
> http://www.sys-media.it/cv860a.html
>
> Thnx for the fast response!
> I'll just keep using the 1.2b7 version for now.
> Testing on my side will continue, I'll try to change some bios settings
> and see where that gets me. (Probably nowhere, but hey, can't blame me
> for trying..... ;-)

Ok an update here.
The weird thing is that right after the upgrade (with a max spoof allready
configured) m0n0wall does everything right ! I've got an IP and Connection.
So macspoofing does work.

However, changing the mac in the m0n0wall config throws everything offline again.
(Yes still I get an IP and default gw and dns server) but no traffic. Even after a
reboot m0n0wall gets no connection. But now the really weird thing.....

Changing the mac back to the one I had configured BEFORE the upgrade makes
everything work again ! (even after subsequent reboots !)
Weird.......

Does anyone have an idea where I could find more info on the interfaces and or
linkspeed and or systeminfo and or my BRAIN, because now I really lost it...
(via probably the exec.php page, but I'm not a FreeBSD guru and I doubt there
would be any info regarding my brain in there ;-))

- Jeroen Visser.