[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  edward mzj <edward dot mzj at gmail dot com>
 To:  =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Henrik_K=E4hler?= <hk at fucktdc dot dk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] what speed can m0n0wall handle?
 Date:  Sat, 4 Jun 2005 00:23:16 +0800
currently, the gateway in my company is an old hp vectra pc w/pii-350
and 128m ram,
etc., and the internet connection is 100mbit/s fttb. it's running
freebsd 4.11 w/polling
and ipf 3.4.35, and some other stuffs like dhcpd, ntpd, and squid.

i didn't make any benchmarks on it. the only thing i know is when i
transfer large files
using ftp, the average speed reported by ftp client is about 10.xx
MBytes/s. and during
the tansfer,  'top' on the gateway show me a very low cpu load, less then 5%.

forgot to mention, the gateway has 3 fxps. in freebsd world, fxp is
considered the
best fast-ethernet nic. i used an xl once as my wan interface, and the
transfer speed
was about the same as fxp, but cpu load was very much higher. it's
about 50% when ftping.

yes, i'm not talking about m0n0, however, m0n0 is based on freebsd and
ipf, i think the data i mentioned here will also apply to m0n0 1.2b8,
if polling is enabled and you are using fxps

sorry for my poor english