[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adam Lawson" <alawson at calhost dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Migrating from individual VLANs to individual subnets
 Date:  Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:17:52 -0700
I was trying to get m0n0wall to use VLANs last night (failed) so since I'm up against a wall, I
don't have time to test with a bunch of NICs to see which one will work.

Now, I have about 30 clients all on separate VLANs currently (all public IPs - nothing is private).
Each client is configured with a /29 and a unique gateway. Is it possible (or is my networks skills
failing me) to configure m0n0wall to stop using VLANs but rather to use subnets instead and not have
to reconfigure anyone's network settings?

I have a Cisco router with 30 VLANs configured and replacing it with a new m0n0wall router/FW and
really need to eliminate the requirement to change any client's network settings.

Is there a workaround so I move them to a new router and instead of using VLANs I use small /29
subnets instead?

Thanks again- m0n0wall is the ticket but I always seem to be in a hurry and without adequate time to
test. Thanks!
Adam Lawson
General ManagerOffice: (916) 256-4188
      E-Mail: alawson at calhost dot com

Roseville Office
CalHost Communications
A California-Based Dedicated Server Company