[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bob Rich <rrich at gstisecurity dot com>
 To:  Justin Popa <tehpopa at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Dynamic DNS and NAT?
 Date:  Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:59:04 -0400
Justin,

I don't know much about the internals of the SSH protocol, but I'm not sure that the target hostname
is ever sent across the wire from the client to the server (in fact there are a number of reasons
what that would not be a good idea). AFAIK the hostname is just used to find the IP address of the
system, and to participate in the validation the host key that comes back.

The only way that you could reliably do this is to do the 'port manipulations' thing. Why not map
the external ports 2201-2210 to the ssh port on each of your DMZ boxes, with the 01-10 mapping to
the appropriate machine on your DMZ. (e.g.: 2201->lin01:22, 2202->lin02:22, 2203->lin03:22, etc)

A tad kludgy, but reliable.