[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Cameron Showalter <cameron at gwschool dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] noticable lag
 Date:  Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:23:28 -0400
On 6/7/05, Cameron Showalter <cameron at gwschool dot com> wrote:
> hey folks,
> my users are noticing intermittent lag, and/or network drop connecting
> to a m0n0wall 1.11 vpn box.  I have seven active vpn connections to this
> box (neoware 4000P - nsc geode processor, 128mb ram, 98mb HDD, with one
> onboard nic, and one PCI nic) plus it control's dhcp and the firewall
> for the main location.  I'm wondering if the ipsec is taking its toll on
> the processor causing the lag / drop.  I'm considering a PIII 866
> w/512mb ram to replace the neoware box soon.

How much bandwidth?  Unless you have quite a bit, you probably
wouldn't be maxing out that processor.  I can't vouch for the
stability or capabilities of the Neowares as firewalls though.  Same
processor as a WRAP, but Neowares weren't designed for network
throughput.  It'd be worth trying a faster machine to see what
happens.

-Chris