[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  cameron at gwschool dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  "Cameron Showalter" <cameron at gwschool dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] noticable lag
 Date:  Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:58:01 -0700 (PDT)
> On 6/7/05, Cameron Showalter <cameron at gwschool dot com> wrote:
>> hey folks,
>> my users are noticing intermittent lag, and/or network drop connecting
>> to a m0n0wall 1.11 vpn box.  I have seven active vpn connections to this
>> box (neoware 4000P - nsc geode processor, 128mb ram, 98mb HDD, with one
>> onboard nic, and one PCI nic) plus it control's dhcp and the firewall
>> for the main location.  I'm wondering if the ipsec is taking its toll on
>> the processor causing the lag / drop.  I'm considering a PIII 866
>> w/512mb ram to replace the neoware box soon.
>>

> How much bandwidth?  Unless you have quite a bit, you probably
> wouldn't be maxing out that processor.  I can't vouch for the
> stability or capabilities of the Neowares as firewalls though.  Same
> processor as a WRAP, but Neowares weren't designed for network
> throughput.  It'd be worth trying a faster machine to see what
> happens.
>
> -Chris

main site is a T1, all remote sites are 784kbs DSL lines.

running top shows:
last pid: 31541;  load averages:  0.63,  0.66,  0.61  up 3+05:10:07
18:48:01
16 processes:  1 running, 14 sleeping, 1 zombie

Mem: 5836K Active, 3904K Inact, 8548K Wired, 5504K Buf, 90M Free
Swap:

guess i'll be switching it out first thing tomorrow morning.

thanks for the replies.

-Cameron