[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  Gary Barclay <badimba at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] USB ADSL Modems
 Date:  Thu, 9 Jun 2005 21:01:51 +0100
Gary,

In message <baa2bdd90506091049730e8e9d at mail dot gmail dot com>, Gary Barclay
<badimba at gmail dot com> writes
>Neil,
>Got any other tips on this?  I've got the modem set to bridged and
>m0n0 set to PPPoE(tested on another modem) and cannot get anything to
>run.  If i setup the modem to handle the connection, it also starts up
>NAT and a firewall(at least that is what the logs seem to suggest).
>My preference would be to have m0n0 handle the connection and nat'ng
>etc not the modem.
Right - on my ADSL router (Origo ASR-8400) I found that I had to
manually set the LAN IP address to the same as the WAN address that it
was being allocated (no good if you get dynamic addresses !!!).

You need to disable NAT and I found that I had to use its built-in
firewall.  If I didn't then its http and ftp servers were exposed, even
though they were set to LAN access only.  I allow no access to the
router's IP address and full access for the rest of the range.

I've not tried this on any other router so I can only say for definite
that this works on the Origo - it's not the easiest thing to configure
but once it's done it seems to work fine.

HTH, let me know whether it does / doesn't,

                                Neil.