[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Gary Barclay'" <badimba at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: ADSL Link with DSL-300T modem on WAN IF.
 Date:  Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:13:24 +0100
Gary,

I had an ADSLNation X-Modem CE running successfully in a PPP half-bridge for
well over a year until, like Neil, I got a /29 address range a couple of
months ago.

A colleague in Oxford is running exactly the same setup I used to run using
a DSL-300T, so it definitely *should* work. I know he had to update the
firmware on the DSL-300T a couple of times though (some of the earlier
firmware's half-bridge mode does some firewalling, which causes problems
with opening ports for external services).

I don't know where you're located, but here in the UK I've tended to
configure devices using PPPoA. I can't see PPPoE configuration being much
different though, to be honest. I did all the DSL settings (user/pwd/etc.)
in the modem's web interface, then just told m0n0 to grab an IP from the
modem by DHCP.

That's where the patch you found comes in. By default, the modem will assign
m0n0 the same IP for both default gateway and its IP address. M0n0, in its
infinite wisdom realises they're the same IP and routes external traffic
over loopback, which needless to say doesn't work. You can either use the
patch posted here, or if you want to check quickly, enter these commands
into exec.php:

route delete default
route add default -interface -link <wan interface>

> The problem is that m0n0wall does not seem to be able to use
> PPPoE through the modem to establish a connection.

Do the PPPoE work in the modem's web interface, then tell m0n0 to get the IP
via DHCP.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Chris