[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Gary Barclay <badimba at gmail dot com>
 To:  Adam Wilks <adam dot wilks at weymouthwireless dot co dot uk>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: ADSL Link with DSL-300T modem on WAN IF.
 Date:  Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:36:53 +0100
OK, I reply rather sheepishly...but ultimately very grateful.
I went back on site and did more testing...was still getting the same problem:

m0n0(ppp) -> dlink(in bridge mode) no connection.

didn't really want to have the modem connect using ppoe, then pass
m0n0 a private ip address..this means dlink is handling NAT(and as far
as I can gather doing some firewalling)...no good for me, no control.

So went back to basics, asked customer to re-provide all
details...everything checked out OK.  So I then went directly to their
ISP and found that the password I had been given for the adsl
connection was WRONG.
Changed password...set m0n0 to handle the ppp, set dlink to bridge
mode...whamo...connection.  Unfortunately, the logs never gave me any
clue that something as simple as an incorrect password was causing the
problem.

I appologies for taking you all on a red herring tour and thank you
all for your information time.