[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bjoern Euler (Lists at edain)" <lists at edain dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.2b8 hanged: all mbufs exhausted
 Date:  Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:23:38 +0200
 > That should be unrelated to the version, and should only happen under
 > very heavy load.  Go to /exec.php and run 'netstat -m' and report back
 > with the output.
 >
 > I'd also make sure you don't have any worms/viruses on your network,
 > since that could cause high load on the firewall and cause that.
 >
 > -Chris

Hi Chris,

there are no worms/viruses on my net. Its a small home network with
three windows clients and one freebsd server. On that a mldonkey was
running when the m0n0wall died but I don't think this has something to
do with it.

My m0n0wall box is a P3 system with two Intel Lan Management Pro
adapters and 256MB of RAM. I should be able to handle my 1024/128kbit
DSL line...

Yesterday evening I configured OpenVPN on my box with a client link to
one of my friends. Maybe that is problem?
At the moment I replaced the m0n0wall box with a lancom 1611 (this baby
has 66mhz cpu power and 16mb of ram and never died because of traffic).

The output of netstat -m before I replaced it:

$ netstat -m
3943/3968/17856 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
     3010 mbufs allocated to data
     4 mbufs allocated to packet headers
     929 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
388/576/4464 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
2144 Kbytes allocated to network (16% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

I am not tied to m0n0wall but would very much like to put it in place on
a wrap with 3 nics to have my WLAN in a secured area.

I am willing to do a bit of testing. Network debugging is no prob but
when it comes into kernel tweaks I am a noob. :)

Regards

-Bjoern