[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Cameron Showalter <cameron at gwschool dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  vpn tunnel dropping
 Date:  Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:49:32 -0700
Hello,
I have 8 tunnels working, with data flowing very nicely.   except for
this one tunnel that i continue having issues with.   it happens to be
my only tunnel that required an extra static route to properly
connect.   the live ip for that endpoint is a dsl modem, then behind the
dsl modem is my symantec fw/vpn applicance model 100.  the symantec box
has a wan IP of 192.168.254.2.     so on my end I have a static route
set in m0n0 as:
LAN 	192.168.254.0/24 	66.60.133.##

which works mostly, but every five minutes I recieve emails from
'node-runner' my nms stating that the connection is down.  once I ping
the private IP 99% of the time,  it comes back.  I've had them power
cycle the symantec box twice because I couldnt even ping the
66.60.133.xx IP.

I've resorted to a crontab entry the sends out 10 pings on the remote
side to a local IP every five minutes and that seems to help, but not
completely  resolve the problem.