[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Claude Morin <klodefactor at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Bjoern Euler (Lists at edain)" <lists at edain dot de>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Free VPN Client
 Date:  Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:17:00 -0400
Replies to two posts:

On 6/16/05, Bjoern Euler (Lists at edain) <lists at edain dot de> wrote:

> Some people don't like to use PPTP in Windows for security reasons, see:
> http://www.schneier.com/paper-pptp.pdf

That paper is 5.5 years old; it may no longer be relevant. Furthermore, as
you hinted the paper revealed in the MS implementations, not in the protocol
itself. With a modern MS client and a m0n0wall server, we may be relatively
safe. I keep meaning to ask about this on the PoPToP site (
http://www.poptop.org/) but haven't yet done so.

On 6/16/05, Bjoern Euler (Lists at edain) <lists at edain dot de> wrote:

> Encryption is limited to 3DES and no aggressive mode possible.

Because people keep talking about using aggressive mode: from my admittedly
limited reading, it seems to me that using aggressive mode is a very bad
idea anyway. Can anyone comment authoritatively?

-klode