[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hard drive install problems
 Date:  Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:19:20 -0400
On 6/16/05, Jim Stahlin <Jim at stahlin dot net> wrote:

> I think it may be a problem with the CDrom or floppy drive so I tried to
> install monowall to the hard drive.  When I do the HD install the
> computer boots up but hangs right after the IPfilter/ipsec line.  It
> waits and then says this:
> ad:0 read command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
> ad0: (hard drive info)

FreeBSD list archives have a lot of hits on this.  Seems there were
bugs in the very early 4.x days that caused this, but have long since
been resolved.  Other resolutions I found were bad drive, and bad IDE
cable.  Since you've already replaced the drive, I'd go for the IDE
cable.  Otherwise, given the other problems, your IDE controller or
whole box might just be flaky.

-Chris