[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'Eric Gregory'" <eric at gatewayconnections dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Printing over pptp VPN
 Date:  Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:10:17 -0400
Eric Gregory wrote:
>> I ASSUME that this is on a laptop...
> Correct
>
>> Does it work when you are on the LAN? Make sure it works before you
>> go off the LAN and try the VPN.
> Yes it does
>
>> Make sure the pptp VPN is connected before you try to print - I
don't
>> think it will "dial-on-demand".
>>
> It is
>
>> Check to see if the printer is marked
>> as "offline".
>>
> Shows online
>
>> If you have the private IP as the IP for the TCP/IP
>> printing port, the pptp is connected, you should be able to print.
>>
> As per the Directions on the Monowall website it is setup so that
VPN
> clients get 192.168.0.x (x being in the reserved range for PPTP)
with
> a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 LAN subnet (Where the printer lives
> is 192.168.0.x With a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
>
> are these configs correct to the best of your knowledge.

Yes, you should get an IP from the reserved range with a subnet mask
of 255.255.255.255

Someone else on the list, suggested that printer may need a route back
to the pptp user (Jonathan De Graeve replied to me not the list...I
just forwarded his response to the list) I would agree with this - If
you did not supply the printer with a default gateway address, it may
not be able to respond to you when connected. I have not configured a
HPJetDirect in a long time, but I remember with a manual configuration
it would work on a LAN without a Gateway Address and one is not
assigned by default... I would give that a try...

If all else fails - Put a sniffer on the LAN to see if traffic is
getting to the printer from the PPTP address.

I can print to a printer shared off a server when I am connected via
my PPTP VPN - I don't have a network (JetDirect). I do this to print
on my Office (LAN interface) from my home network which is on my OPT
interface - not from the road... I agree with Chris, it would be too
slow to do so from the road.

James W. McKeand