[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ben Z" <b underscore zarboni at rogers dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  dnsmasq bug?
 Date:  Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:10:22 -0400
Hi all;

I have a m0n0wall (1.11) box setup in the office which I am running as one of our DSL line's router.
Everything works very well except for one small quirk reported to me by my boss. He claims, and I've
only been able to duplicate once or twice, that everytime he types a URL into his browser for the
very first time (nobody in the office has visited the site before) that it will not load. If he
finds the actual IP address that this URL resolves to, pings that, and then retypes the URL in his
browser, he has no trouble.

There was a similar complaint last fall
(http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs%5B%5D=103&actionargs%5B%5D=76) that I hadn't
found an answer to. I also tried his steps to "eliminate" the problem, but it doesn't seem to go
away for me.

Could this be an issue with the DNS caching method used in dnsmasq? It seems that cached entries
resolve properly.
Or perhaps the way dnsmasq parses and fetches an IP address from a URL has something wrong...

Anyone have any similar trouble??

Ben Z