[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeb Campbell <jebc at c4solutions dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Documentation Thank You (How to build m0n0wall from scratch)
 Date:  Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:25:30 -0500
Just wanted to say a big "Thank You" to whoever wrote and is maintaining
the docs for building m0n0wall from scratch.  And to whoever (I assume
Manuel) split out and posted all the patches.

Because of this, I have resurrected my project to get 3 things in m0n0wall:
1. Ipsec compression.
2. Filtering on ipsec links.
3. Better queuing (really just borrowing with ALTQ).

The move to Freebsd 5 would have helped these, but I don't know if that
will be possible for all us wrap/small system users.

So taking that into account, I've decided to try and port m0n0wall to
OpenBSD.

I currently have combined some openbsd scripts from the net to build an
embedded system.  flashboot is used to build a /bsd kernel with embedded
root filesystem, and flashdist is used to install that image to a
bootable compact flash image.

generic-pc size is under 6M, but that includes tons of things like ftp,
ssh, etc.  There is plenty of room to take things out and put m0n0wall in.

Todo:
1. Cleanup/combine scripts into easy build system (and release this if
anyone is interested).
2. Use the docs to make script that builds all m0n0wall needed binaries
(php, mini_httpd, etc).
3. Remove binaries that aren't needed.
4. Hack m0n0wall scripts for openbsd.  Biggest thing will be firewall
ipf->pf and ipsec daemon conf files.

If anyone is interested, drop me a line off list.  If there is any
interest, I'll setup a svn repo for all this.

--
Jeb Campbell
jebc at c4solutions dot net