[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adriel T. Desautels" <atd at secnetops dot com>
 To:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  oliver dot kainz at myez dot info, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + Snort
 Date:  Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:44:20 -0400
Actually,
    In my expereince its not a very good idea to install an IDS on a firewall
device. Fact of the matter is an IDS device should have as much processing
power as you an give it to help reduce false positives and false negatives
(assuming heavy load and a good NIC). Increased usage of the CPU from other
services, such as firewalls, reduce the amount of cycles that the IDS
will have
and as such reduce its performance. Anyone else feel the same way?

----- Message from don dot munyak at gmail dot com ---------
    Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:54:22 -0400
    From: Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
      To: oliver dot kainz at myez dot info

> I don't want to speak for the development team, but from my time spent
> on this list server, the goal of m0n0wall is meant to stay lean.
> M0n0wall is primarily a firewall and it looks like that's how it will
> stay.
>
> - Don
>
> On 6/20/05, oliver dot kainz at myez dot info <oliver dot kainz at myez dot info> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> is there an plan to implement Snort as an NIDS into the m0n0wall in
>> the futureve??
>>

>> BR
>>
>> Oliver

----- End message from don dot munyak at gmail dot com -----