[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Monaghan <mmonaghan at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Dual Wan Router (XiNCOM)
 Date:  Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:25:27 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael Monaghan <mmonaghan at gmail dot com>
Date: Jun 20, 2005 5:25 PM
To: Louis <m0n0 dot ch at hourfollowshour dot org>

I'm considering this same configuration except using the HotBrick LB-2. This
is the same as the Xincom 502 for a little less money. The 503 adds VPN and
for my money I'd let the m0n0 handle VPNs. It is a lot cleaner interface
without all the "magic" behind the scenes.
 Hotbrick seems to be doing better in the support department and has a few
custom modifications to the load balancing that Xincom was promising but
never delivered. What I can say for the Xincom is they've had some problems
with stability in their firmware, but most of them are with the VPN
functionality. Make sure you read the history of either's firmware before
jumping in.
  When you choose one and jump in you'll have to run it in Transparent
Bridge mode. Make sure you call support and discuss the modes thoroughly
before choosing. One mode doesn't fail over, one doesn't load balance, and
one and mess up connections by swapping the outbound IP on requests. You
might also want to look at the dual WAN in pfsense (
www.pfsense.org<http://www.pfsense.org/>).
I'd bet it is harder to deal with, but better supported and more stable.
 Let us know what you find in your quest for dual WAN!
 Mike