[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christian H Borrman" <chb at orange dot net>
 To:  "'Louis'" <m0n0 dot ch at hourfollowshour dot org>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Dual Wan Router (XiNCOM)
 Date:  Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:06:00 +0100
Hi Louis

The Xincom looks suspiciously like the old Dual WAN Nexland routers that
became Symantec firewall vpn 100 and 200 series... and is all I can say is
that it was flaky at best and unreliable at worst to the point that we had
to put an X10 power socket linked to one of the devices behind it that power
cycled the device when it was unpingable / suffice to say that it was a
"many times per day" requirement.

A quick search on "xincom dual wan unreliable" there are few reports to the
same effect.

Not to discourage you further, but it was worse on the exact set-up you
describe; 1 cable and 1 dsl. It was much better behaved on two DSL
connections, but far from perfect.

I know its lower down on the main to-do list, but as someone who has just
spent the last three weeks with a DSL connection that only partially worked
a few of those days, I would really like to see dual wan on m0n0, even if it
is only in a compromise of the following:

A) 2nd WAN not fully load balanced, just failover
b) just incoming or outgoing load balancing
B) just as a remote access to the GUI in case the main connection goes down,
a quick upload of a second XML config via the 2nd WAN connection could
re-set the device to use this back-up 2nd WAN connection. This could avoid
any potentially thorny issues with OS not liking/supporting more than one
NAT.

If anyone has managed to get any of the above working as a hack on an OPT in
the meantime I would be very grateful to know.

Thanks

Christian