[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Raphael Maunier <raphael at maunier dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Vlan & Mtu problem
 Date:  Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:54:30 +0200
A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>How can I be sure that the 1400 value for the Mtu will be the good one ?
>>

>um, because its what you'll need to use to get it to work? ;-)

That's also my conclusion :)

>the Cisco will only do 1500 - but as you are using PPT and/or IPSec, your packets
>to and from the PCs are now 1500+padding - 'jumbo' frames. which means that protocols
>which cant handle this properly are being fubar'd. The Intel card is quite happy
>to shove bigger packets through the network, the via is chomping them to 1500
>automatically so you dont see the problem with that. there are various calculations
>that can be done to find optimal MTU size for your deployment, generally its best to make sure
>that the number is padded/divisable by 16

I have the problem with only Intel ge card :(. The fe via card is
working great.
I have poor performance without the vlan/interface setup to 1500.
So I need to change the mtu on the monowall and Windows station.
I also tested that bsd doesn't like to be media forced  with a cisco
switch (also forced).
I have better perf with auto sense on both equipements.