[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christian H Borrman" <chb at orange dot net>
 To:  "'Yiannis Maglaras'" <ym at untopic dot com>, <Mirassou at cict dot fr>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Captive portal problem authenticating users behind Access Point
 Date:  Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:38:07 +0100
Hi Dennis, Yiannis,

We had the same issue here on an installation with a d-link 2110 access
point, and a Linksys router running as access point (using LAN ports and AP
mode), it works with 1.2b7 but not b8 and b9.

from the m0n0wall DHCP server, the linksys must be running in Access point
mode, as our access points are. (yiannis I assume you are using the LAN
ports on the Linksys and AP mode?) Furrthermore, we have also tested
multiple Access points in WDS and mesh modes, all using the DHCP and Radius
correctly as Yiannis says on M0n0wall 1.2b7, but not on 1.2b8 or 1.2b9.

Basically, m0n0wall is issuing an IP address against a MAC from a client on
the access points, forwarding the the correct MAC and IP of the client to
the radius server, but then on 1.2b8 and 1.2b9, when radius replies,
m0n0wall opens up the firewall to the access point MAC and IP, not the
original client MAC and IP. On 1.2b7 this does not occur; same access
points, same settings and tried on two different sites (radius on site and
radius remote).

This is a quite a big issue as radius auth captive portal for multiple MACs
basically works on 1.2b7 but not on 1.2b8 and 1.2b9, which is ironic, as
1.2b8 and 1.2b9 need this access point set-up as the 4.11 OS Base only
supports two types of 802.11b cards only, that either have been pulled out
of a dell laptop and put on eBay (dell truemobile) or have been out of
production for a while (2511+) and are sporadic in supply. Both these cards
are now two generations old and not been manufactured for up to 18 months!.
The 1.2b7 5.3 base OS supports all the latest a/b/g Atheros cards on board
and so this is not an issue, however the radius accounting is broken on
1.2b7 but not on b8 and b9! It is a catch 22.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Is it a 4.11 OS issue? Is it the eth cards on soekris (yiannis you do not
say what platform you are using?) or is it something that the accounting
fixes on b8 and b9 have broken?

Thanks

Christian