[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0 IP vs. NAT IP
 Date:  Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:30:04 -0400
Daniel L. Hunter wrote:
> When you're setting up Server NAT, do you need to use a different IP
> address than the WAN IP address of the m0n0wall?
>
> For example, can my m0n0wall have WAN IP ***.***.77.6 and then have
> the Server NAT set to the same IP (***.***.77.6)?

Short answer: No

Long answer:
Server NAT allows you to make a second (or more) IP(s) available for
Inbound NAT rules. If you set a Server NAT for ***.***.77.7 - then you
can select the .7 address when creating Inbound NAT rules.

Once you create the Server NAT the drop down menu for External address
in the Inbound NAT mappings will include the Server NAT address as an
option. The default External address on Inbound NAT rules is the
"Interface address" (this mean WAN IP).

James W. McKeand