[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Knight <boheme at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0wall on a WatchGuard Firebox v80?
 Date:  Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:03:15 -0700
I recently picked up a WatchGuard FireBox V80 from someone who had given up
on their expensive support. I popped the case and it appeared to be a x86
based mini-pc with a custom 4-port PCI ethernet card. It boots off CF, so I
figured I'd see what happened if I tried to boot it off a m0nowall image.
Initial boots were spotty, with semi-random crashes with errors such as
"Fatal trap 1: privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode", "Fatal
trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode", "Fatal trap 9: general protection
fault while in kernel mode", and "Fatal double fault:". Rarely the same
error twice in a row.

First things first, slim down. I removed the 4-port PCI network card. Boot
errors went away. It appears to recognize the dual ethernet ports on the MB,
so I have a nice m0nowall based firewall now.

It would be nice to have those additional 4 ports though. Has anyone ever
encountered the "4-PORT Rapidcard_SBC" PCI ethernet controller that is
inside the WatchGuard FireBox V80? I tried dropping it into a FreeBSD
5-STABLE box with a GENERIC kernel and it failed to be detected properly. I
can post pictures if anyone is curious as to what it looks like.

If this card is completely unworkable due to being custom built for
WatchGuard, can anyone suggest a decent multi-port PCI ethernet controller
that works with m0n0wall?

-Chris