[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Network fileshares across IPSEC VPN
 Date:  Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:00:36 -0400
On 6/22/05, Graham, Robert <rgraham at mem dash ins dot com> wrote:

> Everything is working: Http/Https, ssh, RDP, Communications with our Exchange servers, etc..
EXCEPT fileshares.  When I try to do:

> net view \\{Servername or IP Address}  I get a system error 53 has occurred.
>
> If I run nslookup either by IP or name against our internal machines, it resolves successfully.
>
> My understanding was that Active Directory with Dynamic DNS did not require WINS or modifications
to the LMHosts file for NetBios traffic to transverse subnets.

AD with a Windows 2000 or XP client doesn't require WINS or lmhosts
for name resolution, so long as you're using the AD DNS servers on the
client machine.  Win 9x clients still require WINS even with AD.  This
doesn't appear to be a name resolution issue though.

The usual problems with SMB over VPN is people expecting network
browsing to work (it can, but I'm not going to get into that since
that's beside the point here), or not having DNS or WINS setup
properly so name resolution is broken.  You'd get an error 67 if name
resolution was broken.  Can you ping the server by its name?  I guess
it's probably one of the servers you can hit RDP, etc. on, but it'd be
good to confirm that you indeed have basic connectivity to that
particular machine.  I'd also check your firewall rules.

-Chris