[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jens Wellhausen <jw at ib dash wellhausen dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, cbuechler at gmail dot com
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive Portal and WRT54G
 Date:  Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:08:56 +0200
 >> Hi there,
 >>
 >> I have installed m0n0wall 1.2b8 on a wrap box, configured the captive
 >> portal for radius authentication and everything worked very fine
when >> I
 >> had an D-Link 2000AP+ accesspoint attached to the m0n0wall.
 >>
 >> Now I would like to use a Linksys WRT54G as accesspoint (with >>sveasoft
 >> alchemy firmware), because it would be nice to extend the wireless
 >>range
 >> using WDS. Unfortunately, the authentication does not work anymore,
 >> because the IP and MAC address of the accesspoint are authenticated,
 >>and
 >> not the client...
 >>
 >> As I have read before, it is not possible to use an IP routed network
 >> behind the captiveportal, but how can I disable the router in the
 >>WRT54G
 >> in that way that it acts like a simple accesspoint? Using WDS later
 >> should not be any problem because it is a MAC-layer protocol, am I
 >>right
 >> here?
 >>

 >In 1.2b8 you can do authentication based on IP only.
 >
 >I don't know about the Sveasoft firmware, but with the Linksys
 >firmware you just have to plug one of the LAN ports into the m0n0wall,
 >not the WAN port, and it briges the wireless over to the LAN port.
 >
 >-Chris

So far I think I am doing right. I have connected the WRT54G using a LAN
port, switched off the WAN port, but no success. The next step could be
to flash back the original Linksys firmware. But it would be very nice
to use the WDS, so are there any other ideas (for example, other
accesspoint hardware)?

Jens