[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  Ed Lentz <elentz at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VPN problems
 Date:  Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:13:52 -0400
Ed Lentz wrote:

>I have a M0n0 version 1.11 at the office.  I have a WinXP pro system
>at home.  I can connect to the network and map drives and all is well.
> I cannot seem to map drives or even ping other machines on the
>distant network.  I have put entries into my host file, I have the
>workgroup name OK, I can even hit the Apache server with an internal
>ip.  What could I be missing?
>Thanks
>
>Ed

Netbios will not transfer through a VPN.  You really need to use a WINS
server.  I have 2 networks connected via a VPN, and a WINS server was
really the ticket to get them all talking to each other.  Of course, if
you're on an active directory domain, the domain controller takes care
of this for you.

Chris