[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Rolf Sommerhalder <rolf dot sommerhalder at alumni dot ethz dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WRAP heat dc++
 Date:  Sun, 26 Jun 2005 05:50:29 +0200
My WRAP1C is running a customized version of 1.2b8 as filtering bridge
and traffic shaper in front of my firewall. The ambient temperature

The WRAP1C is in the original alu box with its cover on. No cooling like
a fan or so around it. The CPU load is between 5 and 15% (only, on a
4 Mbit/s symmetric ISP connection). I use the 18VDC plugin power supply
as supplied by PCEngines.

So, if you are using a regulated power supply, try to crank up its
output voltage towards 18VDC. Because if your PS is "linear" regulated
and not "switched" this will reduce its power dissipation and there it
produces less heat. This may help to stabilize operation if your PS
tends to become "soft" with increasing ambient temperature.

The power supply onboard WRAP is of switched type which is very
efficient and produces little heat to convert the 18VDC down to required
3.x and 5VDC.

Rolf