[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Trevor B. Sullivan" <TSullivan at baxterwoodman dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Question regarding syslogd configuration
 Date:  Sat, 25 Jun 2005 23:20:32 -0500
Hello everyone,
	I wasn't sure whether or not to post this to the FreeBSD list
(as that is the syslogd server I wish to log to) so I decided to post
here since the firewall (m0n0wall) is based on FreeBSD. Anyway, my
question is this...I've been having a very rough time trying to find a
good explanation on configuring syslogd on FreeBSD and I have enabled
the logging on the firewall, but am unable to figure out how to edit
syslog.conf to make the firewall log to a separate file. I do understand
that some line similar to the guide here
(http://sol4.net/rt314syslog.shtml) needs to go in there, but I really
am looking for a decent *understanding* of how syslog.conf works. I have
read the man page (for "syslog.conf" and "syslogd")and still do not
quite get the syntax of syslog.conf. I've also looked around on mailing
lists and Google (yes, done my homework :-) and not found anything. Can
anyone please point me in the right direction? Perhaps a brief
explanation of syslog.conf or a few links to articles? Anything would be
great as this has been frusturating me for weeks now. Thanks!

-Trevor