[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  =?WINDOWS-1252?B?lSCV?= <googl3meister at gmail dot com>
 To:  "S. Klapprott" <sascha dot klapprott at freenet dot de>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: OPT1 isnt answering... / NO Response from OPT1 ?
 Date:  Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:26:10 +1000
On 6/28/05, S. Klapprott <sascha dot klapprott at freenet dot de> wrote:
> Don't know, thats why i asked my question.
>
> But the Problem only occurs after  some hours - not direct after I connect
> the lan cable. I don't think that the oport may have a fault.
>
> How could I locate the problem ?
>
> Greets,
>
> Sascha
>

> Paul Rae wrote:
> > If the problem only happens on the OPT port, have you considered that the
> port itself may be faulty?

If you plug any PC directly to any other PC (eg:m0n0 is effectively a
PC) then you require a crossover cable.  Not certain of exact
terminology, but PC's are DTE (data termination endpoint) devices and
(most) network equipment are DCE devices (data comms endpoint).  Using
twisted pair ethernet requires a DCE device is connected to a DTE
device (that is what the uplink switch does, effectively reverse the
pins for you so you can link two DCE devices together with a straight
thru cable, though one is actually behaving like a DTE because of the
uplink switch).

Many devices of the DCE variety (switches, etc) now support autodetect
since many ppl get it wrong or don't have the right cable at the
critical point.  M0n0 (as a PC) doesn't do this, hence if you connect
a PC/laptop/DTE device then you need a crossover cable.  If you
connect virtually any dedicated network device, then it is DTE to DCE
and all is well with a straight cable.

Sasha: Does this problem occur after you move a computer from the LAN
to OPT1, or at any time?  Is there a particular reason why you're
bridging OPT1 and LAN together?  If you unbridge them and create a new
subnet for OPT1, does it work then - ie:can you browse the net for
example?  Sorry to ask so many questions...

--g'luck
gm