[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Paul Dugas" <paul at dugas dot cc>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Contivity 100
 Date:  Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:35:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, June 28, 2005 10:16 am, James W. McKeand said:
> One of the posts (I think same post on BSDForums and M0n0wall list)
mentioned cutting the soldered jumper J14. This would make me nervous -
and cause profuse sweating until it booted after cutting...

Well, it's gathering dust now so if it blew up, it'd not be that big a
deal. :)

> The posting mentioned near the end that the VGA head is not necessary as
the Serial port does a console redirect (9600, 8N1). The issue would be
to get a m0n0wall generic PC image with serial console - check Chris
Buechler's site http://chrisbuechler.com/index.php?id=19.

Read that too and, using Chris' 1.2b7-serial image, gave it a whirl last
night.  Never got anything out the serial port.  Had a light-box inline
the verify the port wiring.

I've got a couple sticks of RAM lying around but cannot identify their
capacity or functionality.  I tried it with one stick and the unit
flickered for a minute then lit up red and amber on the diag panel; no go.

Changed to the other stick of RAM and now it boots much further but not
all the way.  It still never sent anything out the serial port on it's own
or inrepose to a carriage return but I do see som of the flow-control
lines go active indicating it's opened the port.  It also will respond to
a couple pings on the LAN interface before it cycles again.  Does it s
sound like a memory capacity issue?  Googling the number on that RAM stick
seems to indicate it is 32MB, not the 64MB I'd hoped for.

Will get new RAM and try again.

> I do not have one of these to play with, wish I did. I just wanted to
point out that the Watchdog may cause a problem. Good luck.

Looks you can buy one on ebay for as little as $40 today.  There's even a
lot of 4 for $60!.  If I can get this working, I may buy a few just to
play with!

Thanks for the thoughts.

Paul

--
Paul Dugas, Computer Engineer           Dugas Enterprises, LLC
paul at dugas dot cc     phone: 404-932-1355   522 Black Canyon Park