[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tor Bechmann Sorensen <tor at studentergaarden dot dk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Is a m0n0wall the right choice for my institution? Follow-up questions.
 Date:  Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:09:30 +0200
First, I'd like to thank all of you for responding to my mail, and
thanks for supporting my caus. I have sifted through the answers and
come up with a couple of follow-up questions.

By now I am pretty convinced that m0n0wall is stable enough for my
(anyones?) need, and that hardware failure would be the usual cause of
downtime.

Justin, I read the post you linked to and it's reply, as well as the
link to the freebsd page. If I read it correctly, the low performance in
the benchmarks from the FAQ, was caused by a freebsd bug. The bug was
fixed around december 2004, and the fixed version of freebsd has since
been integrated into m0n0wall. However, I cannot confirm this from the
m0n0wall changelog, and I found a a posts on the mailing list
(http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=120&actionargs[]=06)
dating dec. 2004, which seems to contradict this, but then again, at
that time the fixed freebsd might not have made its way to m0n0wall yet.

So, can you confirm that the VPN1211+Soekris performance is now fixed?
And does this apply to the VPN1411, which is the version that seems to
be available now? And does it apply to m0n0wall 1.11? Sorry to keep
"pushing" this, but it's quite important for me to get as clear as
possible about this.

Kasper, thanks for correcting my vocabulary ;) I'll be emailing WRAP
soon, but their homepage lists the WRAPs as being available from July
20th, and I need to get this going during July, so probably I'll be
going for a Soekris. I guess I could implement a Soekris now and then
buy a WRAP later to implement VPN, and to have handy as a backup in case
the Soekris should fail (i.e. to make the management happy).

Regards,
Tor Bechmann Sorensen