[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Thomas Sprinzing <thomas at sprinzing dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  general observations
 Date:  Sat, 02 Jul 2005 12:21:00 +0200
Hi Folks,
now, that i had a packed week, a kind of a m0n0wall boot camp, setting
up 4 boxes at 2 different sites, i want to share some observations.
But first of all a big thank you to all the developers - m0n0 is a great
piece of software, really.

Now to my few cents:

* Sometimes the DNS forwarder does not respond correctly. It appends the
box's domain name to some queries.So, if you do „host www.xyz.com“ on an
attached host, the responder looks up www.xyz.com.monodomain.tld, which
obviously will fail. Workaround: enter momodomain.tld. with a trailing
dot. (I tried with osX and win XP as clients)

* OpenVPN will end up hanging during authentication, dropping
„unroutable“ packets, if the monowall cannot resolve domain names
correctly. Don't ask why. Fixing the dns in the general section helped.
(VPN/internal router 1.2b3 using static IP behind monowall DSL gateway
1.11).

* Hopping from field to field using Tab on the keyboard is not really
workable. A lot of the fields cannot be reached, they are skipped. That
said, i don't know, if that can be influenced (i use firefox) at all, as
"it's web enbled!".

* OpenVPN: if i use it on a /24 net, and set its client max to 5, it
responds, not to be able to operate. Obviously client means „client IP
adress“ - if you know, that OpenVPN uses a lot of Ips for one client
connection, then the error message makes sense...

I know, i work with beta software, this is the reason i report this to
the list. As i am not a programmer, my hope is, that developers and
world can use this info to get around some quirks more easily.
I try to upgrade to newer version as soon as i have the time on my
private site, so i can see if i can reproduce the issues.

Big plus plus goes out to the idea of having it all in an xml file to
configure: the whole up- down and aroundgrading worked like a charm - i
wouldn't expect this to be so smooth. Just great.

So, please go on with making m0n0 such a great system,

all the best

thomas