[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Didde Brockman <didde dot brockman at starring dot se>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Captive Portal: External portal page
 Date:  Mon, 4 Jul 2005 21:36:53 +0200
Hey,

First of all I'd like to thank the many people who have contributed
to m0n0wall. I heard about this project a while back, but didn't get
the chance to give it a whirl until recently. I must say this piece
of software is incredible (!) In comparison to some NS25's we're
running at the office, m0n0wall offers more features and seems to be
(so far) perfectly stable. Thank you very much for all the work you
have put into this product!

We're looking to open a new WLAN, publically available as a free hot
spot. I was amazed at how easily Captive Portal got up and running
and all is going well, except for one thing. Basically, we want a
"login page" (actually, it's more like a "I agree"-page) on the C.P.
which redirects to an external site to which we have allowed access
through C.P. even to "unknown" users. The meta-redirect works smooth,
but I cannot seem to get the external page to "authenticate" the user
through the standard HTML-form given in the examples.

We're not using Radius or anything of the sorts, so the form only
contains one element; "accept". If I store this page through the Web-
GUI locally on the box running m0n0wall, the form does it job, but as
we need some extra functionality on this single page, I must be able
to redirect the soon-to-be-authorized-users to the external site from
where they then can accept the EULA, or decline to.

So, perhaps this would give you a better idea. I only seem to be
getting this:
--
initial.destination.com ->
   C.P. Meta redirect ->
        portal.something.foo.com/page.jsp <-
--
...but this would be the ideal flow of things:
--
initial.destination.com ->
   C.P. Meta redirect ->
     portal.something.foo.com/page.jsp ->
       submit (POST) HTML-form ->
         initial.destination.com
--
Now, users will get stuck on "portal.something.foo.com/page.jsp" no
matter how many times they click the "I agree" button of the HTML-form.

Has anyone managed to do this in a trivial matter or would it involve
modifications to m0n0wall's source code?

I'd appreciate any help I can get on this one. Thanks again!

Kindly,
Didde Brockman