[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Danvers <jim at bikeguy dot myip dot org>
 To:  M0n0Wall Firewall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Hello / Test / New Guy (stupid questions warning) <grin>
 Date:  Wed, 17 Dec 2003 21:59:41 -0500
Hello folks...

Just discovered monowall - haven't implemented yet.  Still thinking /
planning, etc... network layout, cfg.  Just subscribed to this list and
besides brief intro, testing to ensure I'm posting to the right address.

Briefly:  (assumption is that this makes it to list... ;) )

I'm presently running a linux distro called E-Smith, also known as Mitel
Networks SME.  It works quite well - but I'm looking at doing some other
stuff, playing, testing, learning.  I'm quite dependent on my e-smith
server @present as it provides my mail (imap & web interface), web
services (apache), and ssh.  These are external services it provides -
it also provides smb connectivity for me on the lan side.

I work in I.T. and my employer is a 100% MS shop.  I ~really~ need to
bone up / learn more MS style networking than what I presently know -
thus I'm looking at making some changes to my internal (home) lan, which
more or less also serves as my test / learning environment.  So.....
I'm looking at possibly replacing my existing E-Smith box with a 2003
server, and Exchange 2003 on the same machine, or (depending on
performance hit of fat daddy os) on some other machine.

In a nutshell:  I have (very briefly) played with the monowall web
interface.  It appears that I can port forward (nat) to machines inside
of the monowall box, yes?  Until I get the MS boxes in place, I should
be able to nat/port fwd the relevant services I mentioned earlier to the
E-Smith machine (25=mail, 22=ssh, 20&21=ftp, 80=web, ??=imap), yes?  My
E-Smith box also provides vpn services which have proven handy from time
to time... I see that monowall also provides similar services (and then
some?)...  I did a little browsing of the web archive of msgs from this
list and did see some chatter in thier regarding vpn - appeared to be
some confusion regarding it.  I'll cross that bridge when I get to it I
guess...  this is turning into a long "test msg".  { shrug shoulders...
<grin> }

Thanks folks...