[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Alan" <junk at alan2 dot com>
 To:  "'Johan Bergquist'" <johan dot bergquist at fredab dot se>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Loadbalancing!?!?
 Date:  Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:19:49 -0700
Well,
I would say that the reason this hasn't been implemented is that it is not
really useful to most... The only way to achieve true load balancing is to run
BGP, which requires you to have an AS number from ARIN. Everything else is just
a cheap hack, and dosent work very well.

There is a very good package which runs BGP called zebra (www.zebra.org), which
im sure wouldent be hard to get running on m0n0wall, it is just a matter of
writing php pages to administer all the config files. While I havent heard
anything BAD about zebra, I also havent heard of many people using it in large
gateway routers either.

Also, unless both of your lines are from the same provider, and that provider
agrees to implement some non-standard load balancing scheme with you (otherwise,
all your incoming connections will only hit one link), you arnt going to get
anywhere without BGP. And if you implement BGP, having two links from the same
provider is almost stupid, because they will basically be equal cost routes to
everywhere.

This is one of those futile issues though... If you want to run a true load
balanced system, that implies that you actually have that much traffic to route,
which imples that you should have the money to buy a real router, and should be
willing to pay for the reliability...

-Alan